Login

The Magazine

The Magazine is published monthly and covers St Tudy, Michaelstow and St Mabyn.

 

Subscribers will have now received their copy for May.

 

A years subcription is £6 for 12 months.

Advertisements are £66 for a year.

 


 

NEWS FROM THE HISTORY GROUP RESEARCH TEAM

 

How many of us have walked by the Methodist Chapel and seen a lonely headstone? The inscription reads “Samuel Tom died 15th December 1873 aged 84, and Rebecca Tom, wife, died 27th December 1885, aged 93”. Samuel Tom was born in Camelford in 1789.

He lived on Fore Street, which would have been a very busy noisy area full of shoemakers, victuallers, tin workers, masons, carpenters, tailors and weavers.  Samuel’s father, James Tom, was a Cooper in Camelford, and Samuel followed in his footsteps, and carried on working in the trade all his life. 

He made casks and barrels, perhaps for the pub, but also everyday items like tubs, butter churns, buckets and wooden implements.

Interestingly, the name “Hooper” is said to be derived from the name given to assistants to a Cooper.

Samuel married Rebecca Lang in St. Tudy in 1828; Rebecca was born in St. Tudy at Tamsquite.  Samuel and Rebecca lived at Hengar early on in their marriage, and then moved to Tamsquite with the Lang family. Remaining there for over 40 years until Samuel’s death at Tamsquite in 1873 aged 84.  It appears sadly they never had any children.  

Rebecca lived at Tamsquite until she was 89 years of age, and then moved to Turf Street, just off Fore Street in Bodmin with her niece, Rebecca Grose.  She died there in 1885, aged 93, but was bought back to St. Tudy, her birthplace, to be buried with her husband at their beloved Chapel. 

Today Coopering is almost a lost art; I wonder what Samuel and Rebecca would think to see the plastics, stainless steel and cardboard used today instead. 

 

 

(This, and much more news, is in the current magazine)

 

 

 

site map | cookie policy | privacy policy